Subdivisions (Estates) in The Basin

  1. New Mystic Lake Estate
    Promoted by Spencer Jackson, this estate opened in 1953 and was located on the lower northern slopes of One Tree Hill The roads included Tobruk Avenue, Alamein Avenue, Crete Road, Mystic Road and Government Road. Some of the street names were chosen because of their association with the Second World War.
    The roads were well formed gravel roads but were never sealed. A section of the estate extended to the lower side of Mountain Highway.
    The “Mystic Lake” part of the name was chosen because of the “Lake” that appeared on some foggy winter mornings in the lower reaches of The Basin and surrounding districts. From the elevated view provided from the estate, this fog appeared like a lake. This “lake” can still be seen on occasions by those with an elevated northern view. The “New” title was added because there was an earlier estate near One Tree Hill called the Mystic Lake Estate.
    Gates were erected in 1994 to bar private vehicle access into the area that was once the New Mystic Lake Estate. For walkers, there are still many visible signs of past development such as levelled cuttings, rock walls, tracks into blocks and some exotic trees.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Front (154KBytes 18cm x 12cm)
    Rear (200KBytes 18cm x 12cm)
     
  2. Schneider's Estate
    One of the first and largest estates opened in The Basin was “Schneider’s Estate” on Boxing day 1917. The estate was named after the selector J. Schneider who first purchased the land that the estate was carved from. This estate took in part of the district known as “Chandler’s Hill”, “Schneider’s Hill” and extended across Mountain Highway, taking in the Clevedon area and into the area now known as “The Ravine”.
    Download Estate Plan
    Estate Plan (200KBytes 30cm x 15cm)
     
  3. Reserve Estate
    This estate at the lower end of Arcadia Avenue was offered for sale in 1951. 30 lots were offered priced between 50 and 150 pounds.
    Download Estate Brochure

    Estate Brochure (170KBytes 21cm x 28cm)
     
  4. Reserve Estate Extension
    The Reserve Estate Extensio was created in 1955, and extended the Reserve Estate up Arcadia Avenue including Camellia Crescent and Rowan Avenue. 49 lots were offered at 100 pounds each with 10 pounds deposit and 4 pounds per month.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Front (318KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Rear (509KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
     
  5. Nareen Park Estate
    This estate opened in the early 1920’s just prior to the electrification of the railway line from Ringwood to Fern Tree Gully in 1925. 118 lots in Arcadia, Waratah, Carnarvon and Verbena Avenues and Forest Road, were offered for sale from 35 to 65 pounds.
    Frances Street was not included in this subdivision, but was added when the Eden Park Estate was created a few years later.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Page 1 (318KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 2 (509KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 3 (318KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 4 (509KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
     
  6. Eden Park Estate
    This estate that included Stuart Street, Norman Street, Augusta Road and Frances Street area was auctioned by A. M. Welch & Co., in 1926. The terms being 5 pounds deposit and 1 pound a week for acre blocks ranging from 45 to 75 pounds each.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Estate Brochure (2MBytes 41cm x 29cm)
     
  7. Forest Heights Estate
    This estate in the area where the first Basin Fire Station was erected (since moved to the opposite side of Forest Road) and the Infant Welfare Centre and The Basin Kindergarten now stand, was broken up around 1927. The estate included land along Forest Road (then New Forest Road), Conyers Street and Harrison Street.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Page 1 (370KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 2 (440KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 3 (420KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Page 4 (440KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
     
  8. Chandler's Hill Estate
    This estate opened in the early 1920’s and included The Triangle, the area where the main shops are now, Church Street and around and behind View Road. Forty three “Week-End Blocks” were offered at 25 pounds each, with terms of 2 pounds deposit and 10 shillings per month.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Estate Brochure (2.5MBytes 29cm x 41cm)
     
  9. Mountain Highway Estate
    This estate was offered for auction in 1950 and included the area around Wicks Road and Walker Street. 28 lots were offered with terms of 20 pounds deposit and 1 pound per month. Road names have changed with Wicks Road formerly being Old Forest Road and Walker Street formerly New Street.
    Download Estate Brochure
    Front Page (290KBytes 17 cm x 21cm)
    Centre Pages (450KBytes 29 cm x 21cm)
    Rear Page (230KBytes 17 cm x 21cm)
     
  10. Clevedon Estate
    This estate was created in 1951 when about 3 acres of the western part of the Clevedon property was subdivided into 17 lots. Streets included Ross Street, and Clevedon Road.
    Download Estate Plan
    Estate Plan (120KBytes 21cm x 29cm)
     
  11. Clevedon Extension Estate
    In 1953, another 3 acre section of the Clevedon property was subdivided into 17 building allotments with Cleve Street running down the middle.
    Download Estate Plan
    Estate Plan (160KBytes 21cm x 29cm)